The living room is arguably the most important, frequently traveled room in your home. Therefore, it’s important that it looks good. Wouldn’t it be great to walk in to your home every day with a sense of pride in how it looks and to be eager to share your home’s beauty with friends, family and guests? Read on for 7 pieces you can incorporate into your current living space to jazz it up and go from drab to fab.
1) Decorative Pillows: Add a small, but bold design element to your space and pick out a variety of throw pillows in assorted colors, textures and patterns to dress up your chairs and couches. Be careful to stick with a general theme and don’t go too crazy with the range of designs you choose. You want to bring attention to the space, but you want the right kind of attention. Be creative, have fun and experiment.
2) Eye-catching area rugs: A large, bold, printed area rug is just the thing to make a statement in any living room. It can set the tone of the room and become the focal point. Area rugs look especially nice when paired with hardwood floors and the bonus is, if you have any scratches or other imperfections, an area rug is sure to cover those and look good doing it. Beware! These can cost a pretty penny. If you’re on a budget, surf the internet or check out thrift stores.
3) Wall decals: You may have heard of wall decals. They are essentially temporary tattoos for the walls in your home. Wall decals come in about every design imaginable such as trees, flowers, inspirational quotes and abstract designs. If you can dream it, you can find a wall decal for it. These are a great option to make a huge statement without making a huge commitment.
4) Oversized wall art: Go big or go home, right? Oversized wall art is growing in popularity and, like wall decals, the options are endless. You can really base the design of an entire room upon this one piece of artwork. An added benefit is if you have a large open wall space and don’t know quite what to do with it, this one item can have you covered. No need to buy a bunch of small accessories in attempt to fill up the space. Buy this one item and you’re done. Voila!
5) Colorful or Eclectic Curtains: Have you fallen victim to frumpy or downright boring window treatments? Well, there is hope. For a small investment, you can find eye-catching patterns that will bring a ton of visual interest to your living space.
6) Ottomans: Ottomans are versatile and can bring a lot to your living space in many ways. First of all, they effortlessly add extra seating to accommodate guests at parties and for entertaining. Should you choose you want to go a step further, storage ottomans are a perfect addition to a home. Stash away blankets, magazines and remote controls when you are expecting company and they will be astounded by how tidy you keep your home. It’s also growing in popularity to see brightly colored or patterned ottomans. Not only can they be functional, but they can be fashionable as well.
7) Light fixtures: The quickest way to drain the life out of your living room is depriving yourself of light. Light up your life by adding floor lamps, table lamps or hanging light fixtures to your space. For an added bonus, install a dimmer on your lights for mood lighting to simply to have full control of adjusting the intensity of the lights in your home The moral of the story is if you still have a lighted ceiling plan, it’s undoubtedly time for an upgrade.
Now that you are equipped with all the knowledge you need to upgrade your living room, I’d like to say “Happy Decorating.” I hope you’ve found my tips useful.
Bailey Martin blogs for Schneiderman’s Furniture, a Plymouth furniture store, located in Minnesota; a retailer of stunning home furniture and décor as well as quality mattresses.